POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Clouds : Re: Clouds Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:28:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds
From: Chris Becker
Date: 6 Mar 2002 17:21:02
Message: <3c86964e$1@news.povray.org>
The reason I used stacked planes is that it was a very simple idea and I was
just exploring how well it works. I can see that it does have its
limitations due to how close you can get and a limit of 256 recursion depth
(at least on  Windows 98). The one thing I found that was really great was
that I could use the 'object' pattern and actually model a cloud and then
you the turbulence modefier to make it wavy and such which produced some
very nice results. Also, with the stacked plains and the 'filter' color, you
can light the cloud and it will actually shadow itself like a gas really
does.

Is it possible to do all that with media, and is there some kind of tutorial
that might help me with it? (My luck with media is very very low, I change
something from the demo scene file and poof, it's all gone)
> Slime <noo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > I don't understand why people use this "stacked-planes" technique when
> > method 3 media basically simulates it, sometimes making it faster
because of
> > it's anti-aliasing capability.
>
>   When a concept gets popular, it's quite difficult to eradicate. In this
> case the concept is "media is slow".
>
>   (Another example of this kind of misconception is "area lights are slow;
> it's better to use an array of point lights". See

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povQandT/misconceptions.html#arealightconfu
sion)

> --
> #macro N(D)#if(D>99)cylinder{M()#local D=div(D,104);M().5,2pigment{rgb
M()}}
> N(D)#end#end#macro M()<mod(D,13)-6mod(div(D,13)8)-3,10>#end blob{
> N(11117333955)N(4254934330)N(3900569407)N(7382340)N(3358)N(970)}//  -
Warp -